Just looking at the exterior shapes, what do you think about the Lyon Airport Station?
………… Are you thinking about “Birds”? Because the strong V-shaped concrete abutment at the front entrance, people usually think about the bird’s wing; because the dramatic angling by looking from side, people think about the bird’s beak or landing birds.
But, not even about wings or beak or landing action. Calatrava said “I never thought of a bird, more of the research that I am sometimes pretentious enough call sculpture”, which he’s inspired more by human body- human eyes”.
The Lyon-Saint Exupery Airport Railway Station, also known as the Lyon Satolas Staion. The station is located in Satolas, France, built in 1984-1994. Calatrava received the commission through a competition (provide smooth passenger flow while creating an exciting and symbolic “gateway to the region”) organized by the Rhone-Alpes Region and Lyon Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCIL). The station was designed for the French National railway company (SNCF) serving to connet the high-speed train network (TGV) to the Lyons Airport at Satolas.
I think the Lyons Airport Railway Station project is surely one of Calatrava’s best-known works. The station caught my attention when I was looking at his complete works. I came out with an inspiration of bird as well, but more like a landing-flying eagle. Furthermore, when I looked at night views of the Lyons Airport Station, I thought about “Batman” too, maybe it’s the colour he used for exterior/interior, or maybe it’s the form of the building. The exterior and interior looking gives me dynamic feeling, he designed with several strong elements and principle into the project- Symmetrical balance of the V-Shaped abutment, Rhythm of the ceiling crowds, and the line of the roof. And I think this is really important to me to learn more about using principles and elements into my design works.
- Jodidio, Philip, and Santiago Calatrava. Calatrava: Santiago Calatrava, Complete Works, 1979-2009. Hong Kong: Taschen, 2009. Print.
- Tzonis, Alexander. Santiago Calatrava: The Complete Works. New York: Rizzoli, 2004. Print.
- Tzonis, Alexander, and Santiago Calatrava. Santiago Calatrava: The Poetics of Movement. New York: Universe, 1999. Print.
- Glynn, Simon. “Lyon-Satolas Airport Railway Station by Santiago Calatrava.” Lyon-Satolas Airport Railway Station by Santiago Calatrava. Galinsky, 2004. Web. 07 Nov. 2012. <http://www.galinsky.com/buildings/lyonairport/index.htm
- “Santiago Calatrava – Lyon-Satolas TGV Station:: Arcspace.com.” Santiago Calatrava – Lyon-Satolas TGV Station:: Arcspace.com. Arcspace.com, 6 Jan. 2003. Web. 07 Nov. 2012. <http://www.arcspace.com/architects/calatrava/Lyon-Satolas/>.